Friday, 7 December 2012


Sacha Parkinson.



20 year old actress, Sacha Louise Parkinson has worked hard to pursue her career since a young age.  From first working in the industry at the age of 11, when she appeared in the famous Jacqueline Wilson programme ‘The Illustrated Mum’ in 2003. Sacha has progressed in a successful acting career,  starring in programmes such as The Royal, The Street and The Bill before joining the cast of  CBBC's Grange Hill in 2007, as school girl Anna Duncan. Following this during 2007 and 2008, Sacha appeared in programs such as Waterloo Road, Doctors, Survivors and Shameless as smaller guest roles. Along with Sacha’s roles in popular TV dramas, she has also featured in the Red Union Films Awaydays as character Natasha in 2009; following this Sacha also played the role of Leanne in ‘A Boy Called Dad’ which was released in 2010. Although Sacha had a successful acting career as at a young age, her overall main role started in January 2009, where she first stepped on the cobbles as Coronation Street star, Sian Powers.  We spoke recently about her career and what she’d like to do in the future.


What first inspired you to take a career in acting?
To be honest it wasn't that I was particularly into it when I first states classes as I was only 6. My mum and dad moved to an area where there wast many children so joined me up to drama classes as a way of socialising more than anything. It wasn't until my first on screen role that I became attached to the feeling of filming and how a set works. From then on it was realising the process of developing characters and the ability to portray different emotions, moments and stories within scenes that have kept me interested to this day.


What is the first thing you remember about working in the industry?
The first thing I remember is my drama teacher, he was the scarier person in the world! If you were a second late to class, you didn't know your lines or you don't listen to him, that's it! You would have been shouted at in front of the whole class and made to look stupid. I thought it was him being nasty at frat but I came I realise that all he was doing was installing discipline, and it definitely worked. I can honestly say I'm very rarely on time for anything else, but ill never be late for filming! (Touch wood)


How did you feel after your first day of filming illustrated mum?
I came home and all I could do was talk about my day and most of that was about the new friends i had made! The illustrated mum was an amazing first job, there was loads of kids all king the same things, it was so exciting! All my family were asking how filming was and teachers at school and I couldn't really understand why it seemed such a big deal when I had so much fun. I was extremely nervous at first but as a kid those fears soon go and then everything else seemed to fall into place. All I know is when everyday finished I wanted the next to start, I loved it!


Has there ever been a time when you questioned what you want to do as a career?
No! Well yes I suppose.. I went through a stage when I was like 12 of wanting to train 'Shamu' but since then no! Although there has been a few times where I have questioned my ability to actually do my career, but I guess that's the same with everyone and every job? I can honestly say from a young teenager through to now I never questioned my career choice, just maybe how I go about it.


Have you always wanted to do acting? If not what else did you think of doing?
There has been so many times when people have asked me 'what are you going to do it if doesn't work out? What have you got to fall back on?' Or they say maybe you should do this, this and this incase it doesn't go to plan... My answer is - it IS going to work out! An that's all I say. That isn't me thinking I am amazing or me thinking I am the best, but I truly believe if I start considering the possibility of it not working out, then you genuinely believe there is a chance that it wouldn't. Then what's the point in that? I'm not living in a dream world and I'm very realistic when it comes to this industry. There are thousands of actresses out there who are very capable and eager. There'll be ideas Locked in the back of my mind if my journey takes a different path, but these things don't need to be said out loud until needs be.


You starred in Coronation Street when you were very young, as Rosie Webster’s friend. Did you ever think you’d be back on the street as Sophie Webster’s girlfriend!?
It's so weird thinking back to that day. I remember feeling amazed because my whole family watched it, I had no scripted lines yet I felt like a superstar because corrie was such a huge part of our family. We watched it regularly. I remember them giving me a line to say when I got there, I had to say "here you go" to Kevin and you can imagine how excited I got. It's funny too though because the director come over to me and had to tell me to look at the actors during a scene if they were talking. I think I was staring at Alan (Tyrone) all the way trough without responding to the dialogue or action. I knew very little about how to 'act' then ha, how embarrassing. Well it's mad actually, since then whenever my mum used to drive past Granada studios I used to shout I'm going to work there when I'm older.. And then i did! I never once thought i would be working along side Brooke Vincent not to mention playing one of the first lesbian characters. Me and Brooke have known each other
Since we were six, we used to go to the same drama classes for years and I remember the day she found out she would be the next Sophie. When I think back to then, that's when I think it's crazy how things pan out! I was extremely fortunate and It still feels slightly surreal.


Thank you to the lovely Sacha Parkinson, for taking the time out to answer the questions, for this interview. 



No comments:

Post a Comment